Monday, May 21, 2012

"So how's that working out for ya?" Moving from Public to Academic Libraries

"Why?"

That was most frequently asked question my fellow library folks asked me when I told them after 8 years of working in a public library setting, I had accepted a position in an academic library. And not just ANY academic library, but a large health sciences library that served students, staff,and faculty of a HUGE medical campus. I guess they were right to kinda cock an eye with a raised eyebrow. I suppose I was a bit mystified by their questioning tone and was caught a little off guard. I mean, sure...it may have been a bit of a different animal, but definitely in the same zoo. My answer was always simple and direct.

"Because I can."

So began my journey into the world of academia. I went in knowing it would be different, it might be hard, but I also knew I was offered the position because the people who would soon become my peers thought I was the best candidate to do so. And most importantly, I felt I was completely up for the new direction my Library Lady career was taking me.

Far out.


I was essentially doing the same job duties in the health sciences library as I was in the public library. I checked out books, I helped people place things on hold, I helped with PC trouble shooting, and did basic database instruction at the desk and over the phone. Circulation stuff. Very easy for me to slide into. Some training required - but a lot. And I was very comfortable there. 

There was a period of adjustment. It is true - it was a much different environment. This library serves several different schools both on campus and from the surrounding areas around the state. Our student base is mostly Graduate level, our faculty are mostly doctors, and our staff includes researchers and assistants. Needless to say, it can be a really intense and focused environment. 

I had a lot to learn. Here are just a few things about moving from a public library to a academic library:

I Need it Now.
To me, much of the public library patrons use it for personal, leisure interests. This in turn, may lead one to suspect they get enjoyment if browsing, sitting for hours looking through books, camping out in the children's area with their friends and their children for a play date or impending story time. Teens (as we know) just like to hang out. On the other hand, the health sciences library has a heavy use of online databases and bound journals that our users need, or sometimes actually demand, access to both on campus and off campus. In some cases they are not even in the same country! Both the students and faculty tend to be in high stress, short on time situations where they need the information yesterday and have a why-can't-you-just-send-it-to-me-now mentality about the services we provide. Sometimes we have to talk them down from the meltdown ledge.

Food, Please. 
The idea that public libraries would permit families to walk into the library, spread out a blanket, and proceed to eat their family dinner of KFC or Arby's in the middle of the library would cause some of my fellow library constituents to faint dead away. Although, some may allow covered drinks like coffee or soda, I would be hard pressed to imagine much more. The students and researchers who use our library are not here to use the computer lab for a few minutes or to grab a hand full of books. They do what we like to refer to as "camping out". Our students are here for hours. They bring sack lunches. They have pizzas delivered. We have vending machines, a microwave and a small fridge for their use. It is a necessary addition to their study experience. 

Shhhhh...It Happens.
Now, if you have spent anytime in a neighborhood library branch, you know - it isn't very quiet. It can't be. There are large groups of children in the library at any given time, adults getting together for a book club or knitting circle, or gamers chattering about their virtual worlds - it is a constant hum. And unavoidable. In an academic environment, people are doing intense and complex research and writing. They quite often are taking finals on the computers which are not in an enclosed area. They need quiet and little distractions which mean no loud headphones, large groups use small study rooms, and there are hardly children in the library. It is necessary...and sometimes others need to be reminded, which includes myself. When I first started working here I was indeed shushed by other staff members....and still am occasionally. Still working on that.

I Have My Own Desk! But Wait...There's More.
Long gone are the days of dozens of people waiting outside the glass doors for the library to open as you scramble to process the book drops, boxes of courier that are delivered, and pull dozens of holds for borrowing patrons. Endless (yes, I mean endless) hours of standing on your feet checking items out, shelving books, helping patrons with online applications, and cleaning up the children's area. Closing time was a tag team effort, with some staff frantically flashing lights and checking out last minute stragglers while another herds them toward the waiting door that is quickly locked - "Open" sign flipped to "Closed". So imagine my surprise when I arrived in my new position with my own desk. in my own little nook, with my own phone line, and my own computer. And you don't want me working 8 hours at the circulation desk? Crazy, right?! Well, turns out having less desk hours makes for new projects, committee work, and meetings. I spend a good part of my day at my desk working on my personal tasks along with anything else that comes along during the work day. Needless to say my days are very full and I have to practically tear myself away from my desk to take my lunch. Despite the seemingly quiet and slow paced environment, I am  very busy. Self motivation and organizational skills come in real handy.

There is so much more I can talk about. I guess my point is, my decision to switch my library environment might have started out as a perceived "risk" but has turned into such a "reward". I went into my new job thinking it would be so so so different - and it has been. But the skills I brought with me have helped me gain new and exciting knowledge to carry on into my next library adventure...whatever that may be. I have no doubt it will be as important and influential as any experience that has come before it. And I have learned that change doesn't have to mean different...it can mean more, too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment