Monday, May 14, 2012

Taking a Library Leap of Faith

Why to we seek out and apply for new jobs?

Because we are passionate about it.
The need to pay the bills.
For our own professional development.
POWER.

Okay, maybe not "power" in the Lex Luther sense, per se. But sort of, right? Let me explain....

In the very beginning of my professional life, I was a young mom and wife looking for a job that would make me money and fit my job experience. And so I found myself in an entry level library position. Weird and totally unexpected. But was great. I learned tons of basic library skills and I really dug it. I hung out for about three years, but due to both practical and financial reasons, I decided to move on to a full time library clerk position in another library system.

And that is where I fell in love with libraries.

I had great co-workers, great supervisors, and lots of new faces to meet and greet everyday. I was on the front  lines - working at the circulation desk every day. Basic reference skills were developed: I shelved books (knew Dewey like an ACE), I did reader's advisory (kept up with trends and popular reading), I helped make decisions about the collection (was familiar with what my library community wanted to see more of). I had the opportunity to commit a portion of my time doing outreach, preparing programs, and being creative with displays and library PR. I was a worker bee...and good thing! Because small, public libraries nestled in neighborhoods surrounded by families can be very similar to a hive! I enjoyed every minute of it...for the entire 5 years I was there.

There came a point where I had to step back and ask myself a few things:

Did I like what I was doing?
Of course! Duh.

Was it enough to provide for my family? 
Umm, getting a little sketchy with the new house payment.

Will I able to continue growing professionally in my current position? 
Hmmm...perhaps. If I went back to school.

Would I be able to use the library skills and knowledge I had to elevate me to a different level in library services? 
Couldn't hurt to try, could it?

So I started looking. I applied for several different positions around the state. As in the beginning, I was looking  for something that would make me (a little more) money and fit my skill set. After several months of searching, interviewing, and interviewing again...I was offered and accepted the new position. Although I was thrilled, it was a real scary thing for me. I kinda asked around.

"Am I making a mistake?" 
"Do you think I can do this?" 
"Is this the dumbest idea ever?" 

The more I asked around - family, friends, colleagues - the more and more I was hearing the same things.

"You've got this, Ruby."
"I have every confidence in your abilities."
"Stop talking about and just do it already!"

I would be leaving an environment I had loved and grown in for 5 years. It seemed like a lifetime! But it took something I lacked before.

Faith in myself.

Faith to know I was more confident in my professional skin, that I had skills that were valuable and the ability to fall in a space where I would hit the ground running. And that was very exciting. And you know what? That power thing showed up. I felt energized, moved, inspired -  I was eager to take that leap. I knew I was making a big decision that could affect the rest of my professional life. The more I thought about it, the more I knew it was THE opportunity to spread my wings and go where the library winds took me. I was ready. Bring. It. On.

I had been very lucky to have staff and supervisors around me during those 5 years to nurture and encourage me during those years - and I can say with complete certainty, I feel like I was leaving home. There were tears and a little bit of guilt felt by me for leaving. But like momma birds, they nudged me lovingly out of the cozy nest, and cheered me on as I flapped and flailed all the way into my next adventure...

Academic libraries.









No comments:

Post a Comment