Monday, September 10, 2012

R2 Arrives: Read All About It! Telluride, Day 2

If there was any doubt that Telluride was excited to have close to 300 library staff from all over the United States (and one from Sweden!), maybe yesterday's front page might give you a clue:




My Library Lady Group O' Fun (I am just going to call us LLGF from now on) headed down into the town of Telluride Sunday to explore. We walked and talked and shopped and ate. It was a beautiful day and we had a lot of fun. I have never been to Telluride so it was a really eye opening experience. Oh, I have been to mountain towns before, but there was a real non-touristy vibe here. First of all - the local residents and tourists walked and talked among the tourists. It was very easy going and friendly. It is a bike and dog friendly town, so there are bikes parked in front of every store or business and bowls of water places at every door. I have never seen anything like it. Lots of cute puppies running around. It was really fun.

Eventually, we ran into fellow risk-takers. We chit chatted for a bit about the conference and what exciting things were in store for all of us when some one said, "Look, its R2." and pointed to the ground. Sure enough, there was a orange spray painted R2 logo. Of course, I had to capture the moment:







As we explored other areas such as the conference area and the small village of stores and businesses near the conference venue, we found more and more of these stencils. It really was exciting that the R2 conference was being embraced by the Telluride community in such a big way. I get the economy piece...it is tourist town and their livelihood is dependent on things like this. But I think that the Wilkinson Public Library in town has done an excellent job in involving the community and getting them excited too. We have met some locals who wen finding out who we were, ranted and raved about THEIR library and what great work they have been doing. We even saw a library station in a local grocery store advertising the R2 Conference:


I am so ready to get this thing started. What adventures await me as I stepped out the door? I am not entirely sure. But I inspired by those who are inspired. The town of Telluride is vibrating with energy and excitement.

So, shall we? Let's go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment