Thursday, September 6, 2012

Are You Experienced? Choosing the Risks and Rewards of Culture


So I have been so crazy-busy with work, family, (LIFE!)... that I have neglected my beloved blog that got me here today. In my last entry I spoke of writing in it regularly to prepare for my upcoming adventure. Pshaw. THAT didn't happen obviously. But I promise to be better over the next few days, because the R-Squared Conference is upon us. WOOT! 

SO...as a participant at the conference you have to choose an "Experience".



NO, NOT THAT KIND OF EXPERIENCED! Ha, ha...

Anyways, we have several to choose from (and commit to!) and I decided on "Culture". Now, culture can mean a lot of different things, but this is how the R2 folks see it:
"Staff culture is at the heart of any organization, and core values influence an organization's culture, including internal processes and community perception. The Culture Experience will help attendees understand the key concepts of what builds a vibrant, creative, risk-positive organizational culture and how employees at all levels can influence and support it."

Cool, right? I am intrigued. And to be quite honest, a little frightened. This disclaimer accompanies the description of this particular "Experience":
"NOTE: Participants will be on the move. Bring comfy shoes and a sense of adventure."

I read that as:
"HEY, YO! You will be running around and not sitting much so bring your sneaks...oh, you will also be doing some crazy stuff!" MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Umm....yikes.

I have heard it is an Amazing Race type of "adventure" and there indeed will be some physical activity involved. And perhaps some scary, not so safe things going on as well. Like your-feet-will-not-be-touching-the-ground things. A little worried I may be this person in the group:


But look at me...I am getting ahead of myself! I am just stoked to be going, participating and networking with  fun, innovative people from across the United States (and one from Sweden!). Look for more posts about my adventures in the next few weeks and follow me as I participate in this amazing risk-taking conference...and reap the rewards.

Next stop...Telluride! 


2 comments: